I am an international student on an F1 visa. Do I also pay taxes in the US?

Houston Tax Attorney


I rely entirely on my parents for my upkeep, so I don’t have a job. I’m currently working towards graduating next year. I don’t want to owe taxes to your government, my government owes my dad a lot of money which makes it much harder for me to pursue my education here. I don’t want to owe taxes in addition to school fees and medical bills.

As long as you were on an F-1 visa the entire time in the US, you’re exempt from counting your US presence days for purposes of the substantial presence test for up to 5 years. No taxes unless you have US sourced income.

-Law Office of Kunal Patel, LLC

Comments are closed.